Wearing and Tearing
'Wearing and Tearing' is a 1982 song by English rock band Led Zeppelin. The song was composed by Jimmy Page, and Robert Plant, and recorded at Polar Studios, Stockholm, Sweden on 21 November 1978, and mixed at Sol Studio, Cookham, Berkshire, in January 1982. It appeared as the eighth and final track on Led Zeppelin's 1982 album Coda, released on 19 November 1982. 'Wearing and Tearing' is a hard rock song with a dense fast-paced guitar riff and pleading vocals, initially intended for release on the 1979 album In Through the Out Door.
'Wearing and Tearing' was written during the Ezyhire Studio rehearsals in October 1978. It was composed with the younger generation of bands in mind, that Led Zeppelin still had what it takes to compete with them on-stage. During the recording process at Polar Studios for In Through the Out Door, it was reluctantly dropped from the final cut as it was perhaps too heavy for the overall atmosphere of the album. The band considered releasing the song as a special commemorative EP single, combined with 'Darlene' and 'Ozone Baby', in time for their performance at the 1979 Knebworth Festival, and it was allocated a die-cut sleeve with the Swan Song Records catalogue number SSK 19421. But this plan was abandoned because of time constraints and only a few mock-up examples were produced. Almost all known copies that are in circulation today are believed to be later counterfeit reproductions.
'Wearing and Tearing' was never performed live by Led Zeppelin. It was being rehearsed by the band as part of their 1980s Part One North American tour which was eventually cancelled due to the death of drummer John Bonham. It was eventually performed by Page and Plant during the 1990 Silver Clef show at Knebworth.
- Jimmy Page – electric guitar, producer, remastering, digital remastering
- Robert Plant – vocals
- John Paul Jones – bass guitar
- John Bonham - drums, percussion
- Peter Grant – executive producer
- Leif Mases - engineer, mixing
- Lennart Ostlund - assistant engineer
- Joe Sidore - original CD mastering engineer (mid-1980s)
- George Marino - remastered CD engineer (1990)
- Lewis, Dave (2012) Led Zeppelin: From a Whisper to a Scream. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-1-78038-547-1 (OCLC 782996334).
- Welch, Chris (2009) Led Zeppelin: The Stories Behind Every Led Zeppelin Song. London: Carlton Books. ISBN 978-1-84732-286-9 (OCLC 317254118).
© 2009 SoundHistoria. All rights reserved.