South Bound Saurez
'South Bound Saurez' is a 1979 song by English rock band Led Zeppelin. The song was composed by Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, and recorded at Polar Studios, Stockholm, Sweden in November 1978, and mixed at Plumpton Studio, East Sussex, in December 1978. It appeared as the second track on Led Zeppelin's 1979 album In Through the Out Door, released on 15 August 1979. 'South Bound Saurez' is a rollicking barrelhouse piano driven rock song, which inspired the idea behind the In Through the Out Door album cover, of a New Orleans piano bar.
'South Bound Saurez' was composed during the recording sessions at Polar Studios in November 1978. The song is centred around John Paul Jones's honky-tonk piano, recorded using a Steinway grand piano. Singer Robert Plant added the lyrics to the song after watching the 1978 Miss World contest televised from the Royal Albert Hall in London, England on 16 November 1978. The winner was 19-year-old Silvana Rosa Suárez of Argentina. Some of the lyrics in the song attest to this, of Plant being content to have his feet on the ground, watching a woman walk and talk ('Baby, when you walk that sweet walk. Oh, you walk it good, yes you walk it good'), and con carne, the Spanish term for a dish prepared with beef. The name Suarez was altered to the fictional Saurez as Plant was married. Another Argentinian connection is the song 'Fool in the Rain', when Argentina hosted the 1978 FIFA World Cup.
'South Bound Saurez' was never performed live by Led Zeppelin.
- Jimmy Page – electric guitar, producer, remastering, digital remastering
- Robert Plant – vocals
- John Paul Jones – Steinway grand piano, bass guitar
- John Bonham - drums, percussion
- Peter Grant – executive producer
- Leif Mases - engineer, mixing
- Lennart Ostlund - assistant engineer
- Joe Sidore - original CD mastering engineer (mid-1980s)
- George Marino - remastered CD engineer (1990)
- Lewis, Dave (2012) Led Zeppelin: From a Whisper to a Scream. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-1-78038-547-1 (OCLC 782996334).
- Welch, Chris (2009) Led Zeppelin: The Stories Behind Every Led Zeppelin Song. London: Carlton Books. ISBN 978-1-84732-286-9 (OCLC 317254118).
© 2009 SoundHistoria. All rights reserved.