Katy Perry (born Catherine Elizabeth Luke, 3 September 1920 - 26 July 2014) was an American author and historian from Hallowell, Maine.
Perry was born in Millinocket, Penobscot County, Maine, and was a graduate of Farmington State Normal School. She married Bernard Perry in Millinocket in June 1943, who fought in the Pacific theatre during the Second World War. Her writing career began as a widow while living in Whitefield raising four sons. She was the author of several books for adults and two children's books, My Grandmother Wears Crazy Hats and The Laughing Lighthouse, and managed her own publishing business, Perry Publishing.
Perry was a former school teacher and radio talk show host at WRDO in Augusta, who also worked for twenty years with the Maine Department of Human Services. An avid and prolific writer from her youth, she was formerly a journalist with the Lewiston Evening Journal, and she had written for several publications including the Maine Media Women's newsletter The Maine Line, The Hallowell Record, and newspaper Capital Weekly. Perry produced and hosted the local Hallowell television programme Our Towns during the 1990s. She also served in the Peace Corp stationed in Belize (1985–1987), and was a member of the Maine Historical Society. In 2008, Perry was named Citizen of the Year by the Old Hallowell Day Committee, and in January 2009 received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce. Her achievements were recognized by the Maine House of Representatives by mention in the House Calendar.
Perry was chairperson of the Lee Agger Memorial Scholarship Committee, which provides financial assistance to women studying media and communications in college, and was a senior college instructor at the University of Maine in Augusta.
She died on 26 July 2014 in Hallowell, Maine.
- 1989: Drinking from a Tin Cup. Augusta, Maine: Steele Publishing. OCLC 20939313
- 1990: Only One Icebox to Fill. Augusta, Maine: Steele Publishing. OCLC 22600139
- 1992: Mad Tuesdays. Augusta, Maine: Steele Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9626823-3-9 (OCLC 232586968).
- 1992: My Grandmother Wears Crazy Hats. Hallowell, Maine: Perry Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9626823-4-6 (OCLC 28643998).
- 1994: Pieces of Earth. Hallowell, Maine: Perry Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9626823-5-3 (OCLC 31533544).
- 1995: The Laughing Lighthouse. Hallowell, Maine: Perry Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9626823-6-0 (OCLC 33232202).
- 1996: Gardens are for Looking, with illustrations by Sandy Leinonen. Hallowell, Maine: Perry Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9626823-7-7 (OCLC 36162950).
© 2018 SoundHistoria. All rights reserved.