In My Time of Dying
'In My Time of Dying' is a 1975 song by English rock band Led Zeppelin. The song was composed by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham, and recorded at Headley Grange, Hampshire, England in January 1974, and mixed at Olympic Studios, London in October 1974. It appeared as the third track on Led Zeppelin's sixth album Physical Graffiti, released on 24 February 1975. 'In My Time of Dying' is an epic blues rock track, that is one of the longest studio recordings made by Led Zeppelin committed to record, clocking in at 11 minutes 4 seconds.
'In My Time of Dying' was improvised in the Headley Grange studio, as an extended blues jam. Guitarist Jimmy Page used an electric slide guitar, while bassist John Paul Jones used a fretless bass. Drummer John Bonham's drum kit was set up similar to the way 'When the Levee Breaks' was recorded for the Led Zeppelin IV sessions. The recording is one of the few in which studio banter at the end was captured. The studio version finishes with: 'I'm going to make it my dyin', dyin', dyin'...' After a few seconds of ambient silence we hear a dramatically-feigned coughing fit (likely by Bonham). Playing along, singer Robert Plant quips 'cough' as an apt final word for the song. Bonham can then be heard exclaiming, 'That's gonna be the one, isn't it?!', referring to the take. Next we hear what is likely the voice of recording engineer Andy Johns saying through the talk-back microphone 'Come have a listen, then.' Bonham then releases the clutch of his hi-hat and says (rather sheepishly) 'Oh, yes. Thank you.' Studio out-takes reveal Bonham played a major role in arranging the song.
'In My Time of Dying' was performed on Led Zeppelin's 1975 North American tour as well as the Earls Court shows in London. A version can be seen on the 2003 Led Zeppelin DVD. In 1977, it was alternated with 'Over the Hills and Far Away' on the US tour. Page performed the song on his 1988 Outrider tour as well as his 1993 tour with David Coverdale. Plant played the song on his 1993 solo tour. It formed part of the Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes set in 1999 and was recorded for their Live at the Greek album.
Formats and track listings
1975 7" single edition (Thailand: Atlantic Ft 205)
- A. 'In My Time of Dying' [Part 1] (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) 8.03
- B1. 'In My Time of Dying' [Part 2] (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) 3.02
- B2. 'Houses of the Holy' (Page, Plant) 4.01
- Jimmy Page – electric guitar, producer, remastering, digital remastering
- Robert Plant – vocals
- John Paul Jones – bass guitar
- John Bonham - drums, percussion
- Peter Grant – executive producer
- Andy Johns - engineer
- Keith Harwood – mixing
- Joe Sidore - original CD mastering engineer (mid-1980s)
- George Marino - remastered CD engineer (1990)
- Lewis, Dave (2012) Led Zeppelin: From a Whisper to a Scream. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-1-78038-547-1 (OCLC 782996334).
- Welch, Chris (2009) Led Zeppelin: The Stories Behind Every Led Zeppelin Song. London: Carlton Books. ISBN 978-1-84732-286-9 (OCLC 317254118).
© 2009 SoundHistoria. All rights reserved.