I'm Gonna Crawl
'I'm Gonna Crawl' is a 1979 song by English rock band Led Zeppelin. The song was composed by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, recorded at Polar Studios, Stockholm, Sweden in November 1978, and mixed at Plumpton Studio, East Sussex, in December 1978. It appeared as the seventh and final track on Led Zeppelin's 1979 album In Through the Out Door, released on 15 August 1979. 'I'm Gonna Crawl' is a soulful slow blues rock song, with a string arrangement by keyboardist John Paul Jones. It was the final album track by Led Zeppelin before the death of drummer John Bonham and the breakup of Led Zeppelin.
'I'm Gonna Crawl' was composed during the Polar Studios recording sessions. Jones was the main writer using his Yamaha GX-1 synthesizer to create a lush strings backing and adding piano chords throughout the song, over a 6/8 time signature. Band manager Peter Grant reportedly encouraged the band to record a soulful torch song for the album. Singer Robert Plant added lyrics which reflect back upon his 1960s career as a soul-predominant singer, with stylistic influences from artists of the period. The inspiration behind the song was Plant's wife Maureen. Drummer Bonham noted this as one of Plant's best ever vocal performances. Guitarist Jimmy Page plays one of his best slow burning guitar solos on the album, after being unusually low-key for many of the sessions.
'I'm Gonna Crawl' is mentioned in the 2009 musicians novel A Raw Mix of Carelessness and Longing by author Cecelia Frey. Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience performed this song live on their 2010 tour.
'I'm Gonna Crawl' was never performed live by Led Zeppelin.
- Jimmy Page – electric guitar, producer, remastering, digital remastering
- Robert Plant – vocals
- John Paul Jones – Yamaha GX-1, bass guitar
- John Bonham - drums, percussion
- Peter Grant – executive producer
- Leif Mases - engineer, mixing
- Lennart Ostlund - assistant engineer
- Joe Sidore - original CD mastering engineer (mid-1980s)
- George Marino - remastered CD engineer (1990)
- Lewis, Dave (2012) Led Zeppelin: From a Whisper to a Scream. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-1-78038-547-1 (OCLC 782996334).
- Welch, Chris (2009) Led Zeppelin: The Stories Behind Every Led Zeppelin Song. London: Carlton Books. ISBN 978-1-84732-286-9 (OCLC 317254118).
© 2009 SoundHistoria. All rights reserved.