For Your Life
'For Your Life' is a 1976 song by English rock band Led Zeppelin. The song was composed by Jimmy Page, and Robert Plant, and recorded and mixed at Musicland Studios, Munich, Germany in November 1975. It appeared as the second track on Led Zeppelin's seventh album Presence, released on 31 March 1976. 'For Your Life' is a hard rock song with contemplative lyrics about the dangers of substance abuse, witnessed by singer Robert Plant who saw the groupies affected within the mid-1970s music scene in Los Angeles, California.
'For Your Life' was composed spontaneously at Musicland Studio in Munich, Germany. Because of the short booking time allotted for the session, the lyrics and music were essentially completed within minutes. Plant penned his personal feelings about a female acquaintance addicted to illicit substances, namely cocaine, and that she needs to get out of that scene. The song's sentiment is very much in the same vein as 'Sick Again' on the 1975 album Physical Graffiti. Guitarist Jimmy Page used a 1962 Lake Placid blue Fender Stratocaster with tremolo bar for this song. The guitar was a gift from Gene Parsons, and its distinctive sonic 'dive' effects can be heard on the recording. Both Page and bassist John Paul Jones form a tight unison with the funk-influenced riff. Plant regards the guitar riff as one of Page's best.
'For Your Life' was rehearsed but never performed live until the 2008 Ahmet Ertegun charity concert in December 2007 at the O2 Arena in London, England. It was also rehearsed by Page and David Coverdale for their 1993 tour, but never performed live.
- Jimmy Page – electric guitar, producer, remastering, digital remastering
- Robert Plant – vocals
- John Paul Jones – bass guitar
- John Bonham - drums, percussion
- Peter Grant – executive producer
- Keith Harwood - engineer, mixing
- Jeremy Gee – tape engineer
- Joe Sidore - original CD mastering engineer (mid-1980s)
- George Marino - remastered CD engineer (1990)
- Lewis, Dave (2012) Led Zeppelin: From a Whisper to a Scream. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-1-78038-547-1 (OCLC 782996334).
- Welch, Chris (2009) Led Zeppelin: The Stories Behind Every Led Zeppelin Song. London: Carlton Books. ISBN 978-1-84732-286-9 (OCLC 317254118).
© 2009 SoundHistoria. All rights reserved.