All My Love
'All My Love' is a 1979 song by English rock band Led Zeppelin. The song was composed by Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, recorded at Polar Studios, Stockholm, Sweden in November 1978, and mixed at Plumpton Studio, East Sussex, in December 1978. It appeared as the sixth track on Led Zeppelin's 1979 album In Through the Out Door, released on 15 August 1979. 'All My Love' was also issued as a promotional single in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, and Peru. The song is a slow epic, written as a tribute to singer Robert Plant's son Karac Plant. The original working title for the track was called 'The Hook'.
'All My Love' was composed very quickly during rehearsals at Ezyhire Studios in London, England, October 1978, before recording at Polar Studios. The song was written principally by keyboardist John Paul Jones using his newly acquired Yamaha GX-1 synthesizer, and performing polyphonic string arrangements and a baroque horn solo with it. Guitarist Jimmy Page played a subdued lead and rhythm guitar throughout the song with his Harmony acoustic guitar and a 1959 Botswana Brown Fender Telecaster equipped with a Parsons B-Bender. Page wasn't entirely happy with the song believing it to be too 'pop' orientated, although Plant begged to differ regarding it as one of the album's finer moments. Singer Plant wrote lyrics reflecting his fatherly love for his son Karac Plant who had passed away due to a fatal stomach infection in 1977.
A studio out-take reveals a much longer version with additional lyrics by Plant and a guitar solo by Page. This version was used when the song was played live.
'All My Love' was one of the first songs prepared for the 1980s Over Europe tour and was extensively rehearsed for the 1980s Part One North American campaign. Page and Plant revived the song for the 1995 and 1996 tours, inserting lyrics into the 'Calling to You' and 'Whole Lotta Love' medleys.
- Radio Caroline - Top 500 Tracks (1999) 239
- DigitalDreamDoor - The 100 Greatest Recordings From 1979 (2007) 63
- Canadian CHUM (AM) chart (1979) 2
Formats and track listings
1979 7" single edition (Brazil: Swan Song SS 11105, Paraguay: Swan Song 11.105)
- A. 'All My Love' [mono] (Jones, Plant) 5.33
- B. 'All My Love' [stereo] (Jones, Plant) 5.33
1979 7" single edition (Argentina: Swan Song SS 79435)
- A. 'All My Love' (Jones, Plant) 5.33
- B. 'Hot Dog' (Page, Plant) 3.15
1980 7" single edition (Peru: Capricornio 030 [RI 16288])
- A. 'All My Love' (Con Todo Mi Amor) (Jones, Plant) 5.53
- B. 'Rise'* (Armer, Badazz) 4.53
(*) B-side by Herb Alpert
- Jimmy Page – electric guitar, producer, remastering, digital remastering
- Robert Plant – vocals
- John Paul Jones – synthesizer, bass guitar
- John Bonham - drums, percussion
- Peter Grant – executive producer
- Leif Mases - engineer, mixing
- Joe Sidore - original CD mastering engineer (mid-1980s)
- George Marino - remastered CD engineer (1990)
- Lewis, Dave (2012) Led Zeppelin: From a Whisper to a Scream. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-1-78038-547-1 (OCLC 782996334).
- Welch, Chris (2009) Led Zeppelin: The Stories Behind Every Led Zeppelin Song. London: Carlton Books. ISBN 978-1-84732-286-9 (OCLC 317254118).
© 2009 SoundHistoria. All rights reserved.